Are You Staying Safe from Thunderstorms?
The heart of thunderstorm season is here. Between now and September, storms from the west will push towards us, causing damage to trees and neighborhood alike.
Make sure you are protecting your home and lessening potential damage from a lightning strike:
- Remove dead or overhanging tree branches. They could fall on your house if a tree is struck by lightning.
- Put your house in a surge-protection system. This will lessen the chances of voltage spikes.
- Unplug appliances and electronic equipment. You could post a danger to you and your home by going near them while plugged in.
You also want to be sure your roof isn’t damaged by hail:
- Check out hail-resistant shingles. No roofing material is hail-proof and you’ll want the extra protection.
- Learn which style roof is appropriate for homes in your area. Every climate is different, as is every roof.
Don’t forget to get your AC prepped before the storm:
- Secure your unit. Your AC should be installed on a concrete pad and bolted to the concrete with straps.
- Protect the electrical components. Storms can cause surges of power through your home, which can ruin your AC’s essential electrical components. So install a surge protector for your AC as well.
- Cover it up. When debris starts flying, you’ll want a covering to protect your unit from airborne objects.
If you endure AC damage regardless of how well you prepared, turn to Leslie Heating & Cooling. We offer fully professional air conditioning installation, repair, and maintenance. We are a family-owned and operated business based in Woodridge, Illinois and is here for all of your emergency needs, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To learn even more, give us a call at (630) 576-9235 or visit our website.