We Offer Financing!

Learn More Here

Warning: Space Heaters Are a Fire Hazard

Warning: Space Heaters Are a Fire Hazard

Do you have that one spot in the home that never seems to warm up? If you’re like most people, you probably use a space heater to fix the problem. Although these heating devices are a simple way to heat up the home, they can also be a major fire hazard if you’re not careful. In fact, 32 percent of home heating fires involve space heaters.

Before you put yours to use, consider these safety tips to protect you and your home:

A halogen or electric heater on wooden floor

Monitor them. When you’re curled up at home and the temperature is chilly, feel free to turn on your space heater – just make sure you keep your eyes on it at all times. In other words, shut off the device when you leave the room and be careful that it doesn’t come in contact with any flammable materials.

Do not place close to flammable materials. Space heaters need their own space, meaning you should place them a spot that’s at least a few feet away from flammable materials. This includes furniture, window treatments, and side tables. You should also stay a few feet away too, as space heaters can cause burns or overheat your clothing.

Choose overheat protection. Not only is a convection space heater a smart option, but a device that offers overheat protection is the way to go. That way, if your heater accidentally tips over, it will automatically shut off.

Keep small children away. Children can be curious most of the time, which is why it’s important to keep them away from such devices. Place your space heater in an area that is hard to reach or attend them at all times during use. If a child gets too close to the heater, they could accidentally knock it over or harm themselves.

To learn more about space heater safety, click here.

At Leslie Heating and Cooling, your safety is our number one priority! That is why we are available for any and all of your HVAC emergency repairs, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. For more information, give us a call at (630) 576-9235 or visit our website.

Skip to content