7 Ways to Cool Down on a Budget
Let’s face it: owning an air conditioner isn’t cheap. And during the dog days of summer, the prices only get worse. That is, unless you know how to stay energy-efficient. As your Chicagoland area HVAC specialists, we’d like to share 7 tips for cooling down and sticking to a budget:
1. Plant more trees – Planting more greens around your home can stop the sun from shining inside your home and heating things up (causing you to crank the AC in the summer).
2. Install solar screens – Did you know that solar or mesh-like window screens can block up to 70 percent of solar energy before it enters your home? Install them on the west side of your home where sunlight hits the strongest during the day.
3. Circulate the fan – Keep the fan going inside your home and use in conjunction with your air conditioning. But instead of blowing the fan in your exact direction, leave it close to your AC unit to push the air from your unit across the room.
4. Regulate the thermostat – It may sound simple, but it’s easy to forget – lower your air conditioner’s thermostat setting to 78 degrees when you’re at home and raise it higher at night and when you’re away. By making this adjustment, you can save 5 to 15 percent on your cooling bills.
5. Cozy up in the basement – When the hot air rises, your basement is the number one spot to stay cool. So if you have a finished basement, take advantage by spending more time down there. Use it as an extra, cozy living space to keep cool during those hot, humid summer days.
6. Have a cookout – Summer is all about the great taste of BBQs. But barbeques don’t only taste delicious, they can save you energy as well. Think about how much heat you generate by using the stove and oven in your kitchen, and how much air conditioning you use to counteract the heat. Now imagine how much energy you can save by cooking outdoors instead!
7. Maintain your system – Scheduling a tune-up, changing a dirty filter, and fixing repairs is all a part of maintaining a well-functioning HVAC system. Without doing what it takes to allow good air movement, you can boost your cooling budget and make your AC work even harder, which often leads to less efficiency.
At Leslie Heating and Cooling, we are ready to help you with any of your air conditioning repairs. We are a family-owned and operated business based in Woodridge, Illinois and is here for all of your emergency needs, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To learn even more, give us a call at (630) 576-9235 or visit our website.